Lotus Root Soup (蓮藕湯 – Leen Au Tong)
- 2.5lb lean pork (with or without bone) (e.g. sau yuk, sai see gwut, or pai gwut tau)
- 3 lotus roots, peeled and cut into ~1″ pieces
- 2 pieces of dried octopus tentacles (jeung yu; not squid which is yau yu)
- 1/3 cup mung beans (=luk dau – green beans)
- few slices ginger
- Cut pork into large pieces if not already done so
- Boil a pot of water and cook pork in boiling water for 3min
- Dump it all into the sink. Rinse 2-3 times total.
- Put the pork into the pressure cooker pot. Add in the luk dau. Add water.
- In a pan, fry a few slices of ginger, then add the squid. Fry a bit. Add cooking wine. Fry some more. Pour it all into the pot.
- Add water until maximum level.
- Turn on pressure cooker to “Soup” and “Plus” time
- When done, add salt to taste.
- Can save the body of the dried squid for later use in meatloaf (yuk bang)
- Octopus (jeung yu) is considered slightly “cho”