Melon Soup (節瓜湯 – Jeet Gwa Tong)
- 1lb lean pork (‘sau yuk’)
- 1lb jeet gwa (~1-2 melons), skin scraped with knife, and sliced into rectangular pieces
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp
- 2-3 slices ginger
- 1 salted egg
- 1tsp cooking wine
- 3L water
- Slice the pork
- Boil water then add the pork to the water. Bring to a boil.
- Sautee ginger in wok briefly
- Add dried shrimp into wok and stir. Add 1tsp cooking wine and stir.
- Add jeet gwa into wok and stir
- Transfer all of the above into the pot and bring to a boil
- Separate the salted egg white from the yolk into a bowl. Cut up the yolk in your hand and put into the pot.
- Pour in the egg white as you stir the soup.
- Add salt to taste.
Tips: Use cooking wine whenever you use dried shrimp