Quick Watercress Soup (西洋菜滾湯 – Sai yeung choi gwun tong)
- Leftover mushroom stems, soaked in a bowl of water for ~4-5hrs; or chicken broth
- 2 bunches watercress (or choy sum that’s gone old; or gau gay)
- 1/2lb lean pork (sau yuk), sliced (can also mix in pork liver (ju yuen))
- few slices ginger
- 2L water
- Fill 1/3 of a medium pot with water. Add in mushroom water and slices of ginger. Boil.
- Add in slices of pork. Boil 5-10min.
- Add in watercress. Boil until just cooked ~5min. Once veggies are cooked, don’t cover too much otherwise it’ll turn yellow.
* Veggies can be served separately in a plate as a veggie dish.
- Pork for soup can be defrosted moderately from a frozen leftover raw chunk and sliced.
- When removing gau (茍) gay leaves from the stems, be careful with the spikes. Use the leaves as a cushion when your hand glides along the stem from top to bottom. Discard the stems and wash the leaves.
*choy sum = yau choy