Sautee Gai Lan with Chinese Preserved Meat (臘肉炒芥蘭 – Lap yuk chau gai lan)
- 1 bag of gai lan (~1.5lb)
- 1/3 stick of lap yuk (preserved meat), thinly sliced
- Sprinkle of sugar
- Cut off the skin from the preserved meat, then slice into thin slices
- Heat up wok, add oil, and fry the preserved meat until half cooked. Scoop up into a plate, leaving the oil behind. (The lap yuk will create oil – chut yau)
- Add in the veggies and fry. Add a moderate amount of sprinkles of sugar and fry. Add a small plate of water (~50cc) and stir. Add 1/2 tsp salt and stir. Add the preserved meat on top. Cover and let it cook for 2min. Fry a bit more. Serve.
- Adding sugar helps with the natural bitterness of the gai lan.