White Radish and Beef Brisket Stew (籮白炆牛腩 – Lor Bak Mun Au Lam)
- 1.5lb stewing beef (au han lam), cut into large chunks
- 1.5lb beef tendon (~3 big pieces)…(or 3 lbs of one of the above), cut into large chunks
- 1 large white radish (also called turnip or daikon), cut into large round chunks ~1″ thick
- 1 can chicken broth
- 4 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- few slices of ginger
- ~1″ of peen tong or bing tong (sugar)
- swirls of soya sauce
- 1 tsp salt (1lb meat = 1tsp salt including soya sauce)
- 3 tsp cornstarch + water in a bowl
- In pressure cooker pot, add in chicken broth, sugar, 4 star anise, 2 bay leaves, and few slices of ginger
- Boil another pot of water (enough to cover meat)
- Put the beef tendon in the sink and rinse
- Put the beef in the sink as well
- Cut off any fat on the beef, then cut beef into large chunks (~1.5″ pieces). Place on a plate.
- Cut the tendons into large chunks (~4 pieces/tendon)
- Once the water is boiled, put the tendon in first and boil for a couple of minutes. Then add the beef. Boil for another 3 minutes. Drain everything including the meat into the sink.
- Fill sink with cold water and swivel the meat around to wash. Drain and repeat (3 rinses in total).
- Put the meat into the pressure cooker. Add about 4 swirls of soya sauce (~1/2lb = 1 round) and 1tsp salt. Stir. Turn on pressure cooker to “Tendon” and “Plus” the time. Start. (~Takes ~15min to boil and then it cooks for 20-25min).
- In a separate pot, boil water. Add 2tsp salt and a few slices ginger. Add in turnip and cook for 20min on low heat.
- Test for doneness. It is done when you can poke chopstick through. Drain.
- When the pressure is released (the knob is fallen), take the whole pot out and place on stovetop.
- Strain the oil (gak yau).
- Add turnip to pressure cooker pot when that is ready.
- Taste. If not salty enough, add salt/soya sauce.
- Add cornstarch water to thicken sauce. Stir. Bring to a boil. Serve.