Fried Whiting Fish (竹簽魚 – Juk Chim Yu)
- 8 Whiting fish (juk chim yu)
- Salt, white pepper, sesame oil
- At the market, ask them to clean the fish and take off the head
- At home, clean the fish in the sink, scraping off remaining scale, pinching off any film on the inside, removing black parts on the inside. Rinse the fish, place on a plate, and pat dry with paper towel.
- Season with salt, white pepper, and sesame oil
- Prepare a dish with flour and coat each fish with the flour
- Heat the wok on low-medium heat. Pour in oil (~1/2 cup).
- Place fish in 4 at a time when oil is hot. Fry the one side, then the other, then the back, and lastly the stomach side. You may plate it onto a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the oil.
- …If the oil/wok becomes dirty, scoop it up into a bowl, and wipe the wok with a paper towel… then add more oil to fry the rest of the fish
- Repeat with the next batch of fish
- Can also fry Gold Pomfret fish (flat kind of fish) the same way, but don’t need to flour first.