Cubed Wintermelon Soup (冬瓜粒湯 – Tong Gwa Lup Tong)
- 1 big chunk of wintermelon (~2lb), peeled and de-seeded (cut off the “long”)
- 1lb minced pork
- 1 tray of frozen shrimp (small size) (~1/2lb)
- 4-5 dried scallop, soaked 2hrs, and shredded by hand (“gong yiu chu”)
- ~12 medium Chinese mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2-3 slices ginger
- 1 can chicken broth
- Boil 1.5L water in a large pot
- Add in mushrooms. Let it simmer.
- In a pan, pour in oil, then fry the ginger, then add in the dried scallops and fry. Add in some cooking oil (~1tsp). Fry. Pour it all into the pot. Add in bowl of water to the pan, rinse, and add into the pot. Simmer 15-20min.
- Rinse the shrimp and drain. Add white pepper and 1/2tsp salt to marinate.
- Marinate the minced pork in a medium bowl with 2 rounds soya sauce, sprinkle sugar, white pepper, 3 tsp corn starch, a little oil.
- Dice the wintermelon into smallish cubes. Add into the pot. Add 1 can chicken broth. Boil and let it cook on medium heat until wintermelon is cooked (~5min).
- To break up the minced pork, scoop some soup into the bowl of minced pork and break up the meat. Then add into the pot. Turn up the heat to boil until the meat is done.
- Add in the shrimp. Once boiling, turn off the heat.
- Add salt to taste.
- If you find there’s not enough water at the end, add hot water.