How to Dissect a Whole Chicken
- Use scissors and a serrated knife
- Snip at the joints then cut with the knife
- Twist off the parts when possible
- Snip off fat
- Cut off all toe nails
- Cut off the chicken feet first at the knee
- Cut off the neck, then the head. Peel off the skin and cut off the fat on the neck.
- Cut off the tail/butt and throw away.
- Cut lateral to the backbone on both sides.
- Store the feet, neck, and backbone in a container for later use in soup. Dump away the head.
- Cut off any film you see on the inside. Then wash the whole chicken inside and out under cold running water.
- Cut the chicken into pieces at the joints and any big parts into smaller parts. The drumsticks can be further cut up by cutting off the meat.