Steamed Chicken with Fungus (金針雲耳蒸雞 – Gum Jum, Wun Yee, Doong Goo Jing Gai)
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 handful gum jum (golden needle), soaked (15min) and drained
- 1 handful wun yee (cloud fungus), soaked (15min) and drained
- 6 medium Chinese mushrooms, soaked (3-4 hours) and drained
- 5 slices ginger, thinly julienned
- Cut up the whole chicken into smaller pieces (Refer to “How to dissect a whole chicken” post) and place in a large dish
- In this order: add in 1 round dark soy sauce (lo chau), 3 rounds light soy sauce (san chau), 1/2 tsp salt, sprinkle of sugar, white pepper. Mix. Add 3 tsp corn starch. Mix. Add 1/2 tsp sesame oil and 1 tbsp cooking oil. Mix. Let it stand to marinate for 1/2hr – 1hr.
- Heat up a wok, place in a small stand and add water. Once boiling, place the chicken dish in and cover. Steam for 15min. Stir and bring the pinker meat to the top. Cover and steam another 5min until done.
- Bring it out to the table, cover, and let it stand for 5-10min.
- Signs of doneness: meat has no more pink, juice comes out clear, there is juice at the bottom of the dish.