How to Dissect Fresh Squid
- Put the squid in the sink. Use gloves.
- Make a longitudinal cut in the belly, starting at a hole at the end
- Pull out all the intestines/insides
- Using scissors, cut above and below the eyes, trying not to break the pouch holding the squid ink. Keep the tentacles, discard the eyes.
- Peel off the dark skin on the outside and any membrane inside that you can get a hold of
- Rinse all the parts and place in plate
- On cutting board, cut the tentacles part into smaller pieces (e.g. 3 tentacles/piece) and cut the head part into two.
- With the body, make a slit at the end that pops up so that it lays flat. Score the whole squid into checkers.
- Cut the body in half, then cut into moderate sized pieces.