Stirfry Veggies with Shrimp Paste Squid
- 2 fresh squid, cut up into pieces
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut up
- 1 bell pepper (I used orange today), sliced into strips
- 3 prince mushrooms, cut into slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 slices ginger
- 2 stalks green onion, cut into 3-4 pieces each
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- Refer to “How to dissect fresh squid” post on how to prepare the squid and cut up the squid into pieces
- Fill a medium pot with water (enough to cover the squid). Add in the ginger and green onion. Boil. Then dump in the squid and boil for 10 seconds then drain into a colander . Remove the ginger and green onion from the squid and dump it out. (“cheut sui”/pre-boil to get rid of fishiness and dirty stuff)
- Fry the veggies in a wok on high heat with 1-2tbsp of oil, add salt to taste. Put the veggies in a plate and set aside.
- Heat the wok, add some oil, add in the garlic, add in 1 tsp shrimp paste and cook for 1 minute (the shrimp paste will change to a dark purplish colour, indicating it’s cooked)
- Add in the squid and give it a quick stir until it’s coated (~1min) and hot. Add in one round of soy sauce and stir.
- Scoop up the squid and place on top of the veggies. Serve.
- Make sure not to pre-boil or fry the squid for too long, otherwise it will become leathery
- The squid is cooked when it has curled up