Stirfry Choy Sum with Satay Beef (沙爹牛肉炒菜心 – Satay Au Yeuk Chau Choy Sum)
- 1 bag choy sum (~1lb),
- 1/2lb stirfry beef, sliced
- 1 tsp barbecue sauce (sa cha jeung) (or satay sauce)
- In a bowl, make the sauce “heen”: 1/4 bowl water, 2 rounds soy sauce, sprinkle sugar, 1 tsp corn starch, 1 tsp barbecue sauce
- In a wok, stirfry the veggies on high heat. Transfer to a plate and set aside. If there is water leftover, keep it to make the sauce later.
- Stirfry the beef until 80-90% cooked. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Use the same ‘raw’ plate to get some water including the earlier veggie water, then pour in the wok. Use your spatula to scrape up the bits. Slowly pour in the sauce while stirring.
- Add back in the beef and give it a stir.
- Add back in the veggies and give it a quick stir. Then plate.
- Remember that when stirfrying meat, brown two sides first, and then stir.