Beef in Tomato Sauce (番茄煑牛肉 – Fan Kei Ju Au Yuk)
- 1lb stirfry beef (or fatty beef – fay au), sliced
- 6 roma tomatoes (or 5 hot house tomatoes), diced
- 3 slices ginger
- Marinate the beef as usual (refer to usual Chinese marinade post)
- In a wok, heat up ~1tbsp oil and fry the ginger. Add in the tomatoes and stir. Add 1/2 cup water and cook until soft on medium heat, covering several times and mashing with your spatula.
- Add 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt and stir. Cover again and cook until mushy (~10min in total). Add more sugar with still sour.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tsp corn starch with very little water. Add into the tomatoes while stirring until slightly thickened.
- Spread the beef on top of the tomatoes in the wok, and cover for 1min. Then stir and mix the beef with the tomatoes until the beef is cooked (slightly pink is okay). Transfer to a deep container.