Chayote Melon Soup (合掌瓜湯 – Hup Jeung Gwa Tong) (Buddha’s Palm – 佛手瓜)
- 2.5lb pork scapula (sai see gwut)
- 2 big Chayote (Buddha’s palm) melons, peeled and chopped into big wedges
- 1 octopus, tentacles only
- 2 tbsp apricot kernels (南北㕻 – lam but hun)
- 1 handful peanuts
- 2 dried figs (無花果 – mo fa gor) or sweetened dried date (蜜棗 – mut jo)
- 3 slices ginger
- Boil a kettle of hot water.
- Pre-boil the pork, dump everything into the sink, plug the drain, and rinse twice. Transfer to a plate, drain, and transfer to the pressure cooker.
- Wash the octopus tentacles.
- In a pan, heat up some oil, and fry the ginger. Add in the squid and fry. Transfer the squid and ginger to the pressure cooker.
- Add in the melon, apricot kernels, peanuts, and dried figs into the pot.
- Fill to maximum with water, including the hot water from the kettle. Turn on the pressure cooker to “soup” and “plus” time. It will take ~1.5hrs to cook then ~30min to decompress.