How to Make Chinese Medicinal Herbal Tea
- The TCM doctor will tell you to for example, boil 5 cups into 1.5 cups with the herbs.
- In a clay pot, add in the herbs together with the amount of cold water advised (5 cups in this instance). Bring to a boil.
- Then let it simmer on medium heat (~level 5) until the instructed amount left (1.5 cups in this instance) by pouring it out in a measuring cup and re-pouring it back in if it’s still too much.
- Serve hot.
- It takes about 1 hr of simmering to get from 5 cups to 1.5 cups. Pour it out and measure at ~45min.
- Sometimes they may have ingredients to be added at the end (“hau ha”). For these, add it once you have gotten the end-amount-plus-a-little-bit. Then continue simmering for another 10-15min until you get the end-amount.
- Sometimes they will tell you to separate that 1.5 cups into 2 portions to be drank 4 hours apart.