Sour plum drink (酸梅湯 – suen mui tong)
- 8 dried black plums (酸梅 – “suen mui”)
- 2 handfuls dried hawthorn (山楂 – “san ja”)
- 10 slices licorice root (甘草 – “gum cho”)
- Rock sugar (“bing tong”) or Chinese brown sugar (“peen tong”)
- In a large pot, boil 6L water.
- Wash all the ingredients with 2 rinses. Add to the water once it has boiled.
- Simmer for 1hr on low heat.
- Add the sugar at the end, to taste (~3 sticks of Chinese brown sugar)
- Chill overnight and serve cold.
- Black plums and hawthorn are the main ingredients. Other recipes may have variation of the other ingredients.
- Often drunk at hot pot or BBQ to remove heatiness (“yeet hay”)