Red Bean Sweet Soup Dessert (紅豆沙 – Hung Dau Sa)
- 2 petals dried mandarin peel (陳皮), washed and soaked for 15min, then scrape off the pith (white layer)
- 1/2lb (225g) dried red beans (紅豆), washed
- Rock sugar (“bing tong”) or Chinese brown sugar (“peen tong”)
- In a medium pot, boil 2L of water. Add in the red beans and mandarin peel, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for ~1.5hrs if you desire a softer thicker consistency (if you want it to “hay sa”). If you desire it to be more beany/chewy (“ngau hau”), then simmer for less time, ~1hr.
- Add sugar at the end, to taste (~2 sticks of Chinese brown sugar).
- You can also add lotus seeds (蓮子 – “leen jee”) (~50g) and/or lily bulbs (百合 – “bak hup”) (~30g), and just use less red beans (~200g).
- You can top it with coconut milk to your own bowl, if desired.