Tofu Beef Soup (西湖牛肉 羹 – Sai Wu Au Yuk Gung)
First picture – we used the flank meat to the far left
- 1lb beef flank meat, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 blocks tofu, diced
- 10 Chinese mushrooms “tung goo”, thinly sliced (or 1 can straw mushrooms “cho goo”, quartered)
- 2 cans chicken broth
- Soak the Chinese mushrooms for ~1-2 hours (the thicker and better quality mushrooms will require more time; a few hours).
- Boil 1.5L of water in a large pot. Add in the mushrooms and simmer for 15min. Then add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add in the peas and simmer for a few minutes.
- In a rice bowl, mix 5-6 tsp of cornstarch with 1/4 bowl of water (not too much), then add this to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add in the tofu. As soon as it starts to bubble, add in the beef (because you don’t want the tofu to get too old). Then bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Serve with white pepper, to taste.
- The soup we made today wasn’t thick or rich enough, so we’ve adjusted the amount of water to broth in the recipe.
Update: I made it again and this is more like it!….