Chicken and Clam Congee (鮑貝雞粥 – Bau Bui Gai Juk)
- 1 large chicken breast, marinated with ~3tsp salt for 2-3 days in the fridge, left whole
- 1lb chicken drumsticks or boneless thighs (whatever chicken parts are on sale) (cut the thighs into 2-3 pieces if too big)
- 2 cups of rice, washed
- 8 medium Chinese mushrooms, soaked 2-3 hours and thinly sliced
- 4 slices ginger
- 1 can whole ocean clams (鮑貝 – bau bui)
- Pre-boil the chicken drumsticks for ~3min. Then dump into the sink. If it is not skinless, peel off the skin. Then rinse the drumsticks twice.
- Put all the ingredients except for the clams into the pressure cooker and add water to slightly below maximum (so it doesn’t splash onto the cover). Turn it on to “Congee” and “Plus” time.
- When done, transfer the pot to the stovetop. Remove the chicken thighs and breast. Shred the chicken breast. You may or may not eat the thighs (they would have lost all its flavour).
- On the stovetop, bring it to a boil then lower the heat to ~level 2. Stir frequently, scraping the bottom, for 15min. Be careful of it splashing up, so you can wear gloves or protect yourself with a pot lid.
- Add the clams at the end then turn off the heat, and stir. Add salt to taste.
- Divide the shredded chicken evenly between individual bowls, then scoop the congee on top. Serve with white pepper.
- You can garnish congees with chopped preserved veggies (冲菜 – choong choy) and/or chopped green onion (葱 – choong)