Three Coloured Eggs (三色蛋 – Sam Sick Dan)
- 3 eggs
- 1 salted egg (咸蛋 – ham dan)
- 1 preserved egg (皮蛋 – pay dan)
- Scrape off the black coating on the salted egg and wash it under running water.
- Separate the salted egg yolk from the egg white, keeping the egg yolk in a small dish, and letting the egg white fall into the bowl of eggs.
- Beat the salted egg white together with the 3 eggs. Add twice the amount of water into the egg mixture and beat again until mixed (If the egg mixture is ~150mL, add 300mL water; so that it’s 1/3 egg, 2/3 water)
- Crack the preserved egg and peel off the shell, then wash the egg under running water.
- Cut the salted egg yolk and the preserved egg into small pieces, then add it into the egg mixture and stir.
- Scoop out as much bubbles as possible from the surface to make the surface smoother.
- Steam for 15min, on very low heat (~level 2), or until the egg is firm (not watery).
- Garnish with soya sauce if desired.
- When you’re scraping the black coating off the salted egg, or the hay off the preserved egg, you may want to hold onto the egg inside the bag it comes in so that you can scrape the stuff into the bag to keep it tidy.