Mapo Tofu (麻婆豆腐)
- 2 blocks tofu
- 4oz minced pork
- 1tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2tsp garlic chili sauce (or spicy bean sauce)
- 1/2tsp sesame oil
- 1/2cup chicken stock or water
- Season pork with 1 round of soya sauce, sprinkle of sugar, dash of white pepper, 1tsp corn starch, and 1tsp oil.
- Add 1tbsp oil into a heated pan and stir fry the pork. Add in the garlic and break up the pork while stirring.
- Set aside the cooked pork. In the same pan, pour in the chicken stock.
- Add the tofu into the pan and break it up into small pieces.
- Add garlic chilli sauce, sesame oil, and salt to taste.
- Return the pork to the pan and mix everything together.
- Stir in corn starch water (with soya sauce and a sprinkle of sugar) to make the consistency smooth.
- Instead of garlic chilli sauce, use 3-4 Chinese mushrooms, soaked and cut into strips. Cook it until soft in the chicken stock before adding the tofu. At the end, add 1tbsp oyster sauce into the corn starch water before stirring it in.