Crispy Mung Bean Dessert (綠豆爽 Luk Dau Song)
- 1 lb peeled split mung bean, washed and drained
- 4-6 oz rock sugar
- 3L water
- 1 can palm seeds/young coconut, drained (or you can use coconut jello)
- Boil water and melt rock sugar. Add in mung beans and palm seeds. Stir and bring to a boil. *Watch closely as it boils over very fast.
- Once it boils, turn off the heat keeping the lid on. Let it continue to bubble for another 10min, adding more sugar if needed. If it looks like it may boil over, lift up the lid a bit and the cover again.
- Although seldom, if the beans are still tough, turn the heat on again but turn it off once it boils. Let it stand covered for another maybe 5min. If using coconut jello, add it at the end.