Dried Scallop and Pork Congee (瑤柱瘦肉粥)
- 1.5 cups rice, washed
- 1lb lean pork, cut into large pieces
- 6 dried scallops, soaked overnight, and shredded by hand (keep the soaking water and add it into the pot!)
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- Leaves of a few sprigs of coriander
- Add everything to the pressure cooker then add water to the 10-cup mark.
- Press “Congee” and “Adjust” to add time.
- When the pressure cooking is done and it has depressurized, scoop up the pork onto a plate and shred it with chopsticks (it will easily separate).
- Transfer the pot to the stove and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low-medium and cook for ~15min, stirring and scraping the bottom often with a wooden spatula to prevent the congee from sticking to the bottom. Do this until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add salt to taste.
- Ladle the congee into individual bowls and top with the shredded pork and coriander leaves.
- Other garnishes you may use include: spring onions, finely sliced ginger, roasted peanuts, sesame, preserved vegetables.
- I also made this for Victor while he’s currently sick to up his fluid intake. He didn’t add white pepper due to a cough, but adding some to your own bowl is highly recommended.