Thyme Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
- 1 5lb whole chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme, leaves stripped from stalk (again from my windowsill herb pot!)
- Few dashes dried thyme (enough to cover the chicken)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 yellow summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 carrot, cut into 3 chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Coat chicken with the fresh and dried thyme, salt and pepper. Let sit in the refrigerator covered for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil, place a vertical poultry roaster in the middle and set the chicken on top. Spread the wings and legs as much as you can. Bake for 20min.
- Turn down the heat to 375F and bake for another 50-60min. It is done when you can poke a chopstick into the thickest part and the juices don’t come out red.
- 25min before the end of baking, surround the chicken with the vegetables in the pan, cut-side up, coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return the pan into the oven until the chicken is done.