Salmon Bone Vegetable Soup (三文魚骨番茄薯仔湯)
This is made from the second bag of fish bones that my grocery store gave me last time! I got this soup even more milky than the last one I made! Refer to my previous post for more pictures.
- 2lb fish head/bones, fins and tails cut off
- 6 small carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 golden potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 roma tomatoes, cut into large pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 slice ginger
- Salt to taste
- Rinse all the fish parts under cool running water. Cut off the fins and tails with a strong pair of scissors. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add in the potatoes and carrots and boil for 7-10min until they’re soft. Scoop up the vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside. Save the water.
- Bring a large pot of water, including the potato/carrot water, with the garlic and ginger to a boil.
- In a cast iron pan or wok, sear the fish head and bones on all sides, ~2-3min each side until golden brown. Set aside.
- Once the pot of water is boiling, add in the fish and onions, and continue simmering on medium heat (~level 4) for 20min.
- Scoop up the fish into a sieve and let it drain.
- Add in the carrots, potatoes, and tomatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to let it continue on a roiling boil for 5min. Return the drained soup and add salt to taste.