Stirfry Beef Short Ribs with Black Bean Sauce (豆豉牛仔骨 – Dau See Au Jai Gwut)
- 1.5lb flanken-style beef ribs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fermented black beans, minced
- Sauce: 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp corn starch, sprinkle sugar, dash of white pepper, 2 tbsp oyster sauce, 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup water
- Rinse the ribs, especially the bony parts to wash off any bone bits. Pat dry with paper towel. Cut into square/rectangular pieces comprising of 1-2 bones each.
- In a wok/cast iron pan, bring it to medium high heat and add a lug of oil. Brown the beef on both sides, ~1.5min each side. It should still be a little pink when you scoop it up onto a plate.
- Add some more oil and fry the minced garlic and black beans until fragrant.
- Add in the sauce and water. Mix, scraping up the little bits of beef at the bottom of the pan. Adjust the consistency of the sauce to your liking by adding water or letting it reduce.
- Lastly, return the beef and stir until coated and beef is cooked to taste.