Steamed Garlic Butter Clams
- 1lb manila clams
- 2 sprigs of green onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (e.g. pinot grigio)
- Squirt of lemon juice
- To get the clams to expel any sand, place them in a bowl with approximately 1.5 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt for half an hour to an hour. Then rinse/scrub them under a stream of cool running water.
- In a pan, melt the butter on medium heat. Sautee the garlic until fragrant. Add in the wine, clams, and green onion. Cover and steam until the clams have opened up. Give it a squirt of lemon juice to brighten it up, stir, and serve with your white wine!
- As an appetizer for two people, 1lb is a good amount. As a main course, get 2lbs.
- It’s ok if you can’t use the clams the day you buy it. The lady at the seafood store says they can live for a few days in the fridge! Asked if I need to put them in water, she said to just leave them in the bag! I used them the next day, and lo and behold, they all opened up! There’s even picture evidence 🙂