Sweet Potato and Ginger Dessert Soup (番薯糖水 – Fan Su Tong Sui)
In one of my random online researches, I learned that sweet potatoes are one of the most nutritious vegetables out there, loaded with calcium, potassium, and vitamins A and C. It also contains magnesium, iron, and fiber. It has a low glycemic index meaning that its sugars are released slowly when consumed: when my mum was trying to eat better, she replaced or supplemented rice at dinnertime for sweet potato and she ended up losing 10 pounds in one month! Now, I don’t know if it was this change in diet, or the fact that she swam more, but it must’ve been the combination! So, sweetened lightly, this dessert is a nutritious indulgence.
Like my new wooden tray? 🙂 Got it at Muji on our big West Coast road trip to LA this Christmas!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 slices ginger
- 1.5″ long stick of Chinese brown sugar, or to taste
- 1.5L water
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil with the ginger.
- Add in the sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium heat and simmer for ~30min until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add in the stick of Chinese brown sugar in the last 10min. Stir occasionally until melted.