Pressure Cooker Beef and Oxtail Stew
I finally, finally got the proportions right!! I’ve tried this several times now and always end up with too much liquid that’s not thick enough because no liquids escape from a pressure cooker. But this time, this time – this is the perfect amount of liquid for the pressure cooker. For my purposes, because we like to have it with rice, I could even decrease the liquids even more because the liquids act more as a sauce than a soupy soup. But as is, I can use the rest as pasta sauce 🙂
- 2lb beef chuck, cut into large cubes (or a combination of beef chuck and oxtail)
- 2 medium gold potatoes, cubed
- 2 ribs celery, cut chunkily
- 3 medium carrots, cut chunkily
- 1/8 red cabbage, chopped
- 4oz white mushrooms, halved or quartered depending on size
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 large shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3oz tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- Several dashes Worcester sauce
- Several dashes balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Salt and black pepper
- Brown the beef on all sides on medium high heat.
- Use the saute function of the pressure cooker to first saute the onions, shallot, and garlic, before adding in the rest of the vegetables. While sautéing the vegetables, add in the tomato paste to liven it up a bit.
- Turn off the saute function. Add in the red wine, beef broth, Worcester sauce, balsamic vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper. Give it a stir.
- Turn on the pressure cooker to the “Meat/Stew” setting.
- When it’s done, let it decompress, give it a stir, and serve with rice or rustic bread.