Quick Boil Fuzzy Melon Soup (节瓜滾湯 – Jit Gwa Gwun Tong)
- 1/2lb lean pork, sliced thinly
- 2 medium fuzzy melons, cut into rectangular slices
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 dried scallops, soaked (~1/2hr with hot water) and shredded (discard the tougher side piece or save for soup)
- 3 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked and sliced
- 1 cooked duck egg, chopped
- Boil a large pot of water. Add in the pork, ginger, scallops, and mushrooms, as well as the scallop and mushroom soaking water (leave out the bits at the bottom).
- When boiling again, add in the fuzzy melon. Keep boiling at medium heat for 20min.
- Add in the duck egg and keep boiling for 5-10min.
- I used cooked duck egg because that was the only thing available at the Chinese supermarket I was at. Usually, you would use raw eggs. Separate the egg white and yolk. Dice the yolk and add at Step 3. At the end, slowly pour in the egg white while stirring the soup to make slivers of egg in the soup.