Feta Roasted Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
I’ve been getting really bored of eating sandwiches for lunch at work so I’m giving quinoa a try as an alternate quick lunch option that don’t require me to wait for it to heat up in the microwave. Today I made it for brunch with easy over eggs and I’ll be taking the leftovers to work!
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1.5 [rice] cups dry quinoa
- 1 garden cucumber, peeled, deseeded, and diced
- 1 red/orange/yellow bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into four
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Drizzle olive oil over the sweet potato and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bake for 40-45min.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to package instructions. I got the pre-washed type, but still rinsed it first. I also cooked it like how I do rice: in a clay pot, 5min at level 9 (electric stove), 5min at level 5, 10min at level 2 until all the water is absorbed. Then leave covered on the stove for 10min.
- In a large pot, heat up some olive oil on medium-high heat and saute the cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers with a dash of salt and pepper until warmed through.
- When the sweet potato is done, dice and stir into the pot.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the quinoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil (3:1, oil-to-acid) along with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the quinoa mixture and stir well. Garnish with feta cheese. Serve warm or cold.
- You can also add balsamic vinegar and honey into the vinaigrette.