Spicy Eggplant with Minced Pork (魚香茄子 – Yu Heung Kei Ji – without salted fish)
- 2 medium Chinese long eggplants, cut up into rectangle sticks (or one Western eggplant)
- 1/2lb minced lean pork
- Garlic chilli sauce (suen yung lat jiu jeung) (or just use chilli oil and soy bean paste – meen see jeung)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Marinate the minced pork with 2 rounds soya sauce, sprinkle sugar, white pepper. Mix. Add 2 tsp corn starch. Mix. Add a little oil. Mix.
- Heat up the wok and cook the minced pork (let it cook on both sides without stirfrying initially)
- Add in half of the minced garlic, then stirfry, breaking up the meat, until done. Scoop it out onto a plate.
- Add in 1 bowl of water to the wok and scoop up all the little bits.
- Add in the eggplant and the rest of the garlic. Add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic chilli sauce. Stir and sautee on medium heat, cover to cook until soft (~5min). If you find that there’s not enough water, add hot water.
- Add in the minced pork. Stirfry.
- Add in cornstarch water (the more water left over, the more corn starch). Stirfry.
Note to self:
- Try adding 1 sprig green onion, 1 tsp minced ginger [both early], 1 tsp sugar, 1/2tsp Chinese zhen jiang vinegar [both later]